Dan Crask: A Branding Pro & Realist
As Creative Director and Co-Founder of Brand Shepherd – a branding agency based in the Maryville, Tennessee area – I work alongside every account we serve; I am extremely hands-on.
Brand Shepherd specializes in building, branding, and guiding better products: Digital products, tangible products, and productized services.
Guidance is at the center of why we are called Brand Shepherd because it is what brands benefit most from and yields collaborative relationships that span many years.
I co-own Brand Shepherd with my wife, Andrea. We began as a part-time business in 2006, then in 2008, Brand Shepherd became my full-time interest. Our team is a flexible group of full-time independent contractors who work under my creative direction.
- How would a brand benefit from working with you? Anyone who has worked with me would likely say that they value how much I listen upfront, ask great questions, and only then, form a plan of action, then execute it with quality – usually over-delivering.
- What is your personality like? I am an INTJ, and learning this about myself has done wonders to flex strengths, become aware of weaknesses, and truly know what ways I can best help people.
- What is your favorite season? Spring. I am a morning person, and springtime is the season where nature – and people – wake up from the winter slumber. Spring is nature’s morning, so it suits me well.
- Do you have a favorite sports team? Yes! I am a lifelong Chicago sports fan, except for those dreaded White Sox. It’s all Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks.
- What is your food weakness? To go along with the previous question, I’d have to say an Italian Beef from Portillo’s is something I can’t say “no” to.
- Lastly: What’s up with that beard?! In Scotland’s Highlands is a tiny village called Crask; even has a little place called The Crask Inn where I hope to one day get a meal. My beard is orange/red, and I blame my Scottish blood for it.
I am a father to 4 kids I didn’t know I could love as much as I do, and I place the highest of value on being present for them. My wife and I have been together for many years, and have a unique relationship that pits two very strong-willed first-borns together with complementary skill sets.
Prior to starting Brand Shepherd, I was Senior Design Manager with BDG Creative where I handled myriad responsibilities surrounding our accounts, which were primarily CPG-centric. For most of my time with that branding agency, I was working on the Bosch Tools® brand, RotoZip®. I helped bring to life various RotoZip® product line extensions for Lowe’s®, The Home Depot®, and Menards®. In 2007, the agency I worked for changed ownership, and I opted to go out on my own, where I launched Brand Shepherd.
Prior to this, my career was composed of working for branding agencies in my home state of Illinois, and then in Ohio, wearing a lot of different hats.
In 1999 I graduated with a B.A. from Judson University in Elgin, Illinois. During my studies, I majored in graphic design and commercial photography. I found that working as an assistant to many commercial photographers in the Chicagoland area exposed me to a lot of design shops. Over the years I’ve used my knowledge of photography to aid me as a designer.
Let’s Work Together
Fill out the form below so I can get a head start on what you want to do with your brand. I’ll be in touch, and we start working on improving your brand.